Sunday 24 November 2013

Bicycles For Water



Pitch

 
Women Carrying Water
Many countries in Africa are not fortunate enough to go to their kitchen, turn on the tap, and drink clean water.  In fact they have to travel miles upon miles to reach a water source.  The country Togo has one of the worst situations in the entire world.  On average the people of Togo have to walk 3 miles to get water and then walk 3 miles back to their homes.  The Bicycles for Water Project ("BWP") is giving the people of Togo bicycles so that they are able to reach water sources that are a far distance from their homes. The project will take place in the City of Lome, Togo.  Lome is the capital of Togo located in the Gulf of Guinea and being one of the largest cities in Togo, it is surprising that it is also a City that is most in need of the Project.  Lome has a very scarce supply of clean drinking water and the people are suffering because of it.  Twenty-five percent of people in Togo do not have accessible, clean drinking water. This makes it very hard to stay hydrated.  The Project will also teach the residents how to ride a bike as they will need to be able to use the bike efficiently while carrying water.  Lessons will be held every day to teach the people how to use a bike to carry water.  This project is important to me because I feel that if I help people in need then something good will come in return.  I believe that if I help the people of Togo get clean drinking water to their families then when I am in trouble then I will get the help I need.  I also have the satisfaction of helping a country in need. My goal for this project is to help the people of Togo get their death totals down.  Providing clean drinking water is the first step to helping the people of Togo and providing them with a great essentiallife source.  One of the main goals for this Project is to help at least 1,000 people have access to clean drinking water.

 

Critical Need


The reason for starting this project is to help people in a country that is not getting any help from anyone. Togo is struggling and I thought I would make a project to help them. Many people in Togo are dying because they do not have enough water to drink. Water is the most important thing in order to live. You are only able to live for 3 days without water. That fact is very eye opening. Considering that the people of Togo have to go every other day for water or they have to bring a lot of water back with them, which can be very difficult. Togo is in the top 20 countries in the world of kids dying at the age of 5 and under. This is because they do not have water; their parents have to stay with the children to take care of them and have to find time to fetch water. Togo is third in the world for being under weight. Most people do not get enough food and water to survive.
 
 
Impact
This project will benefit the world because they will see that everybody can make a difference. People will realize that if they donate just one dollar and it will make a big difference. If everyone donates one dollar of their money to a cause then we would have 7 billion dollars to make the world a better place. The project will make people realize that even something small like bikes can save a massive amount of people.

Feasiblility

Togo is going to be helped as soon as possible. I am planning to travel to Togo in the summer of 2014. I will construct a bicycle storage building in June and I hope to be finished in January of 2015 if all goes smoothly. This will give me enough time to construct a shop, get the bikes there, and to get volunteers. I will approach companies such as Home Depot and Sports Chek and ask them to donate items. I will give them the satisfaction of helping a country in need and it will eventually give them more business with people knowing that they help third world countries.
 
 
 
 
 I will ask the home depot to donate lumber in order to build the shop
 
1000 square foot shop =  $100,000
 
 
 

I will ask Sports Chek for 1000 bikes
 
1 bike = $200
1000 bikes  $200,000
 
 

Grand Total = $300,000

 
 

Last Points

My name is Dean Globocki and I am 15 years old. I attend Bill Crothers Secondary school as a student athlete. I play volleyball for the Markham Stingers, but I am involved in many other sports including Soccer, Hockey and Track and Field. In grade 9 I was on the honour role and I am striving achieve that this year. Over the years I have travelled to many countries and I have been able to see that in Canada we are very lucky.

 

Work Cited

 
" LiveScience.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Nov. 2013.
 
"Togo." Home. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Nov. 2013.
 
"Togo." UNICEF. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Nov. 2013.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Dean, very good blog. You have a lot of great information and seem to know a lot on your topic. Your pitch is really good and gave me a good understanding of your project. Your "impact could have had a little more information, but over all you have a great blog. Good work Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog Dean! Right off the start, just by reading your title I knew what this blog was about. Your pictures really relate to your project and your overall blog is well organized. However I would put all your sub headings all the same colour and not have so much space in between you text (by the Home Depot and SportCheck pictures). Supplying bikes is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written blog Dean. This was gave me very clear information and have provided a lot of statistics. This was a very good idea and you have a lot of good pictures. However i would put more ideas and details in the impact part, anyhow great work!

    ReplyDelete