Friday 22 November 2013

Saving Citizens From Drowning in India

 

November 22nd 2013

Saving Citizens From Drowning in India

Pitch

   One of India's main causes of death is drowning. India is in need of help to lower the amount of drownings per year. The aim of this project is to travel to Tamil Nadu, India and build a pool so I am able to teach swimming lessons to decrease the number of drownings per year. This is an Equity project because learning to swim will help decrease the amount of deaths by drowning. The literacy rate in India is 74.04% in adults and 82% in youth. The unemployment rate was 9.9% as of July 2013. I chose to do this project because I was a swimmer and I believe that everyone should have the opportunity to swim safely. My goals are to reduce the amount of drownings in India and to help kids learn to swim.

   Critical Need and Impact


     India is in critical need of help to stop drownings. In 2004, of children ages one to four who died, 26% died from drownings. Also, from ages one to four, drowning remains the second leading cause of death. China and India have high drowning rates and together are accountable for 43% of the world's deaths by drowning.
    
      This project will benefit the world because we will be saving lives in the long run by teaching swimming lessons to prevent drownings.
 
 

 
 

 Feasibility

This project will start in August 2014 and will end August 2020. Speedo a swim company will lend me some money to start out with since they are a swim company. They will lend me $500,000 dollars of starter money which will be used to build the pool and travel to India.
 
Other expenses would include:
-  30 Kickboards: $400
-  1 set of Lane Ropes: $1,350.95
-  2 sets Flags: $5.90
-  1 set of  Chlorine Supplies and Pool Maintenance Equipment: $37.95
-  1 Pace Clock: $353.95
-  8 Starting Blocks: $7230
 
 

Last Points

I will also be getting other volunteers to help me and hopefully the structure of the project will continue on after I finish the six years. I believe that everyone should have the option to swim safely.
 
I am a fifteen years old girl who attends Bill Crothers Secondary School in Unionville, Ontario. I swam competitively for many years and I loved it. I am also currently taking my life guarding courses.
 

Work Cited List

 
Deck Equipment, The Swim Outlet, Website, 6 Nov 2013
 
Drowning, World Health Organisation, Oct. 2012, Website, 22 Nov. 2013
 
Literacy Rate In India, India Online Pages, Website, 6 Nov. 2013
 
 
 
 
                                                 








 

 






 



5 comments:

  1. Great job Erin. I really liked that your title and text were very eye catching and made me want to read further. I also liked that your images helped display your idea and helped get the main message across. A little more info in the pitch about the problem of drowning could have been provided and some facts didn't really relate to the topic of drowning, but an overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way this is laid out. It is straight forward and to the point. I also think the pictures really make an impact, and enhance your overall idea. I think there could have been a bit more background information about the topic. Overall a solid blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a very original idea. I liked it because most people don't do projects on this subject. I think its great how you chose this subject because it directly relates to your sport. I enjoyed reading this but I think some of the things said didn't relate to the project. this is a very realistic idea. It's not to expensive and I'm sure many people would love to volunteer to go to India and teach the children how to swim. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was overall a decent blog with strong facts. However, the facts about unemployment rate and literacy rate are irrelevant. Also, I think the picture with the kid slashing down into the water also doesn't really make sense because he's not drowning or going to drown. Also, I think you should list the website address (http://www....) in your references. But other than that one graphic, I think your graphics are very strong and motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Chloe said this is a very original idea. You used very good researching skills and wrote a very intriguing blog. This project is a great idea and someone out there should carry it along. Overall great job Erin!

    ReplyDelete